Dear Beloved in Christ Jesus:
I have been humbled by the generosity you have extended over this past year to people affected by hurricanes throughout the United States. Today, I am inviting you to once again extend the light of Jesus' love - to assist neighbors and communities in our own conference who are affected by rising rivers and the destructive force of flooding water.
Over the weekend, many towns along the Ohio River experienced flooding. The situation is expected to extend to other river communities in Southern Ohio and Northwest Ohio as heavy rain continues throughout the week and over the weekend. Pomeroy, the west side of Marietta, Proctorville, Athalia and Chesapeake are some of the towns impacted thus far. Our conference and district disaster leaders along with local congregations have been engaged in offering hope, leadership and supplies. I am asking you to join me in supporting our disaster response in the following ways:
- Pray for families and businesses affected by current flooding and those responding.
- Give a financial gift to support our work within the conference.
- Make checks payable to West Ohio Conference
- In the memo line, write "West Ohio Disaster Fund"
- Mail to West Ohio Conference, 32 Wesley Blvd, Worthington OH 43085
- At this time, we are asking for contributions to assist West Ohio's response directly instead of giving to UMCOR. 100% of your contribution will support disaster response within The West Ohio Conference.
- Pray for communities bracing for flooding later this week and over the weekend.
- Opportunities to respond will be communicated through Conference communication systems as they arrive. If you are interested in receiving email updates, please contact Kris Shoaf at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for allowing your light to shine so that our neighbors know they are not alone in the midst of heightened chaos and anxiety.
In Ministry with You,
+Gregory V. Palmer
Resident Bishop, West Ohio
"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand-shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."-Matthew 5:14-16, The Message